The client wanted to combine their living room and create a media space with a 5.1 surround sound system and projector with motorized projection screen. The long length of the space dedicated for our setup combined with the narrow width made achieving the ideal listening angle for the front LCR speakers from our seating position less than ideal. The surround speakers would also need to be placed on the back wall facing towards the front speakers instead of the traditional side wall placement facing towards the listeners sitting position.
With the Projection Screen commanding most of the room on the front wall and no framing for in-wall speaker placement, our best option to create the best sound stage with this space was to use on-wall speakers placed at the ideal height so that unwanted reflections and acoustic miscues which could affect the ideal surround sound delivery from the setup. The client was also very particular about getting the best full HD 1080P image from her projector.
Network and Media Streaming
Media streaming needed to be flawless with the high resolution music collection the client wanted to be able to stream. We stuck with one of the most reliable brands we know for solid network throughput, Engenius. We also set up the ability to stream the latest movies and tv shows from internet streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and HBO. The client travelled a lot for work and one of their major requirements was having their favorite TV shows and Movies on demand to watch when they return.
To conclude, the installation of a media space with a 5.1 surround sound system was a success. The Panasonic PT-AR100U was exceptional as always and provided extremely detailed imaging when paired with the Crystal Screens Projection Screen. With the combination of the Apple TV as a media player for media streaming and the Pro-Ject Turn Table for music listening the client was really satisfied with the experience and thoroughly making use of their living room media experience. The KEF speakers with the Yamaha Amplifier did not fail to impress when listening to them in multi-channel, but felt a bit under powered when compared to previous set ups where we have paired them with Marantz.
- Projector: Panasonic PT-AR100U
- Projection Screen: Crystal Screens 110’’ Motorized Projection Screen
- Media Room Front Speakers: KEF E301 On-Wall Satellite Speakers
- Surround Speakers: KEF E301 On-Wall Satellite Speakers
- WiFi Access Point: Engenius EC350 Wireless N Access Point
- Speaker Cable: Monoprice 16 AWG Speaker Wire
- Stereo Analog Cables: Tributaries 2A-015B
- Projector Mount: Peerless PRG-UNV Universal Projector Mount
- AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667
- Media Room Center Speaker: KEF E301 On-Wall Satellite Speaker
- Subwoofer: KEF E-2 Closed Box Powered Subwoofer
- Media Player: Apple TV 3 rd Generation
- HDMI Cables: Tributaries UHDP-010B
- Turntable: Pro-Ject Essential II Turntable
- Network Switch: Netgear GS108PE 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Switch