Our client wanted a portion of their Garden converted into a Outdoor Home Theater. They also wanted separate zone music which can be wireless streamed to other areas of their Outdoor Garden. Our biggest challenge at this stage was not reflections or flutter echo which can be problematic in small rooms, but rather ensuring a select sound stage in such a large open space. We also needed to ensure our bass and low frequencies were not airy and loose, but effectively processed and balanced with our main speakers throughout the Outdoor venue.
Large outdoor sound stages such as this one would require speakers which would be accurate an detailed in an outdoor environment, but also compete with sounds from the neighbouring area and nature. Under burial subwoofers easily disappear in the landscape and provide a good even distribution of low frequencies for a particular zone. We now needed to complete our setup with a complementary array of main speakers which could be easily placed around the Outdoor Garden. For the outdoor home theatre zone we decided a projector which can be easily set up on a table outdoors would be the easiest solution.
We would integrate Control4 automation so that the client could easily control the electronics in the Server Room using their smartphones or tablets. This would allow them to change sources, adjust volumes and wireless stream music from anywhere in the residence. With the Control4 app on their smartphone or tablet they can easily choose which zone they want to stream audio too and control the volume for that zone independently from other zones at the residence.
Network and Media Streaming
Media streaming needed to be flawless with the high res music collection the client wanted to be able to stream. We stuck with one of the most reliable brands we know for solid network throughput, Engenius. Two of the Engenius access points are placed as Outdoor Weatherproof Access Points in different sections of the Outdoor Venue. A third access point is placed inside the residence so that a fast and efficient WiFi Network which can be easily roamed from any location was at the client’s disposal.
The concept of an outdoor Home Theater and the ability to listen to music while having pool parties is pretty important with a property of this size. The final result was definitely something the client was very satisfied with and find very easy to use with the introduction of Control4. Media streaming is fast and efficient with the Engenius Outdoor routers. All the equipment does an incredible job of braving the forces of nature, and have definitely raised the bar for this already picturesque Alibaug Beach House.
- Automation Controller: Control4 HC-800
- Media Player: Apple TV 3rd Generation
- Audio Matrix: Control4 C4-16ZAMSv3-B 16 Zone Audio Matrix Switch
- Outdoor Subwoofers: Napa Sound Labs 250 Watt DB8 Passive Subwoofers
- Stereo Amplifier to Power Satellite Speakers: AudioControl Architect 210EQ 2-Channel 240 Watt Per Channel RMS Power at 2 Ohms
- HDMI Over HDBaseT: AudioControl HDBT-SR1 HDMI Over Cat6 AV Signal Extender
- Speaker Cable: Monoprice 16 AWG Speaker Wire
- HDMI Cables: Tributaries UHDP-010B
- Stereo Analog Cables: Tributaries 2A-015B
- WiFi Access Points: Engenius ENS202EXT Outdoor Wireless N Access Point
- Network Switch: Netgear GS316 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Switch
- Mono Amplifier to Power Subwoofers: AudioControl Rialto 400 Stereo Amplifier with 200 Watts RMS Power at 8 Ohms in Bridged Mono Mode
- Outdoor Home Cinema Speakers: Emotiva UOM-6.2 Outdoor Bookshelf Speakers 150 Watt 2-Way Speakers with Powerful 6.5’’ Woofer and 1’’ controlled dispersion silk dome tweeter